Full Professor in High Performance Computing
Institutionen för datavetenskap
Umeå University welcomes applications for a permanent position as full Professor in High Performance Computing at the Department of Computing Science. We are seeking a strong academic leader with a clear strategic vision that can complement existing expertise and link activities to other strong research areas at Umeå University. This includes to form new networks within and outside Umeå University, participate in the planning of research projects and actively apply for research funding. The closing date for applications is 2017-03-02.
The subject area of the position is high performance computing. The successful candidate will have an important role and large freedom in developing the area of high performance computing at the department, both in research and in undergraduate and graduate education.
The position includes research as well as research-informed teaching and supervision at basic, graduate and postgraduate levels. Duties may also include some administrative and managerial tasks. The location of employment is Umeå.
Collaboration with or an active role in leadership within the national center for scientific and parallel computing, HPC2N, is also an opportunity.
During the first six years of employment at least 75 % of the time will be assigned to research.
To qualify for an appointment as professor, the candidate must provide documentation to demonstrate scientific and research-informed teaching skills (see also the Higher Education Ordinance Chapter 4). Further, administrative, leadership qualities and the ability to initiate collaborations outside of academia will be evaluated.
Scientific skills refer to the area of high performance computing with focus on computations and methods rather than theory, but also to
- ability to competitively obtain research funding,
- ability to independently plan, organize, lead and manage projects, which include the ability to develop and lead personnel,
- ability to develop new methods and apply them to new problems,
- ability to collaborate with other national and international research groups,
- ability to initiate interdisciplinary collaborations, and
- ability to communicate research to a wider community and the general public.
The notion of research-informed teaching refers to:
- broad, robust and up-to-date knowledge within the subject area,
- ability to supervise the postgraduate level, including the completion of a course in research supervision (or equivialent) and to have supervised at least one doctoral student to doctorate,
- the skills and experience to independently plan and conduct research-informed teaching and supervision at basic and advanced levels (first and second cycle),
- demonstrable pedagogic progress in your teaching and perceived ability of the applicant to contribute to the advancement of the department's educational profile, and
- ability to establish good communication with and motivate students, and to spread enthusiasm and interest for the subject.
A high level of proficiency in both spoken and written English is a requirement.
In the selection of candidates, particular emphasis will be put on the degree of scientific expertise and ability to develop and lead personnel. Next, pedagogical skills will be taken into account. Administrative abilities and the ability to initiate collaborations outside of academia is also a factor.
Scientific expertise must relate to the core of high performance computing. Topicality, excellence and originality of your research and the ability to carry out research projects will be assessed. Significant emphasis will be put on scientific work published in internationally well-respected scientific journals and conference proceedings of scientific conferences. Documented experience from applying that expertise in at least two application areas is an advantage. Documented ability to competitively obtain research funding is important.
In teaching, focus will be on teaching and supervision on advanced and postgraduate level. Experience in teaching (preferable in HPC) at basic and advanced level (first and second cycle) is required.
The application should include:
- A cover letter, including contact information.
- A CV containing academic and professional qualifications.
- A complete list of scientific publications including bibliometric data.
- Copies of at most ten relevant publications, numbered according to the list of publications.
- Account of research experiences, preferable structured according to the previous description.
- A research plan describing the research you want to pursue within the employment (maximum 5 pages).
- Account of teaching experiences. For further instructions, see Appendix 4 in Appointments procedure for teachers at Umeå University
- Account of development and leadership of activities and staff.
- Account of dissemination of research and development, as well as interaction with the surrounding community.
- Account of administrative activities.
- Certified copies of relevant diplomas, grades and degree certificates.
- Contact information of two reference persons.
Umeå University is an equal opportunity employer, and welcomes applications from all suitably qualifiedpersons. We strive towards an improved gender balance in science and technology.
The application, preferably written in English, is to be submitted in our recruiting system, MyNetwork Pro. The closing date for applications is 2017-03-02.
We welcome your application!
Type of employment
Extent of employment
Tel: +46 (0)90-786 77 07
Tel: +46 (0)90-786 53 65
Tel: +46 (0)90-786 52 96
Tel: +46 (0)90-786 54 31
First day of employment