HPC Linux system administrator
The University of Basel is the oldest university in Switzerland, it counts over 12'000 students and 4'300 researchers in 7 faculties active in domains from humanities, economy to natural sciences. sciCORE is the center for scientific computing at the University of Basel and one of the technological platforms of SIB - Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics. The main mission of sciCORE is to support scientists at the University of Basel and associated institutes in research domains with high computational demands. Current projects range from life sciences and medicine to physics, chemistry, economy and humanities.
The sciCORE team operates a large-scale scientific HPC environment consisting of a Linux cluster with 8000 cores (including GPUs), 5 PB storage (IBM Spectrum Scale, BeeGFS), virtualization environments (XenServer) for internal management and hosting of web-accessible scientific services (e.g. SWISS-MODEL, SwissRegulon, …).
sciCORE is one of the infrastructure nodes of a national network coordinated by SIB - Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics to support biomedical-research projects, such as the Swiss Personalized Health Network ( SPHN ). Data protection, security and access controls are thus of high importance in our service.
In order to consolidate its team, sciCORE, is looking for a
HPC Linux system administrator (100%).
With the support of our team, our new collaborator will:
- Help scientists in using our computing infrastructure and collaborate within the team to guarantee smooth operations of the environment. (Our community of users has very diversified interests and computational skills. An open mind is essential in this role.)
- Contribute to the configuration and maintenance of the HPC environment, and adapt it to the current needs of the research community
- Take over the maintenance of our scientific-software stack (EasyBuild)
- Maintain the core set of web services offered by sciCORE (git, RStudio/Shiny, Atlassian suite, data management systems, service management systems, database servers, …)
- Support research groups offering scientific services as web-based applications (design support, configuration and deployment of VMs adapted to the application)
- Collaborate to the implementation of security measures and services in our biomedical IT research environment (including logging and monitoring)
- Participate in relevant technical meetings with our partners at University of Basel and at SIB - Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
- Masters in computer sciences or equivalent
- Strong experience with Linux systems administration, preferably in a research environment
- Knowledge of HPC management with tools such as Ansible, EasyBuild, Foreman, XenServer, slurm (or equivalent)
- Hands-on experience with script-based system management (bash, Python) and in using version control systems for configuration management (e.g. git)
- Hands-on experience in deploying and supporting complex web services: application and management services (e.g. monitoring, logging)
- Experience with core IT security technologies (firewall and SSH server configuration, key management, VPNs)
- Motivated to support a very diverse community of users
- Experience with container technologies (Docker, Singularity)
- Experience with GPFS and BeeGFS
- Experience with network configuration (TCP/IP and Infiniband)
- Experience with service deployment in OpenStack environment
- Interest for in-depth HPC hardware environment design and tuning (storage, network, load balancing)
- Interest in surveying, prototyping and deploying innovative technologies, such as filesystem-level encryption, HDFS, virtualization technologies, …
Ability to communicate in English is a must (working language: oral and written), German is a strong plus.
We offer you
- A highly interdisciplinary work environment with challenging tasks
- A management working on agile principles
- Work within a team of experienced and highly motivated system administrators
- Opportunity to work and gain experience with cutting-edge computing technologies, from hardware to management tools
- Opportunity to be actively involved in the evolution of the HPC infrastructure design
Application / Contact
If you are interested in this challenging and highly interesting position, please submit your application including CV, a letter of motivation highlighting your personal interests and contact information to:
Coopers Group AG
Kitti Dobos, email@example.com