At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an experienced professional firefighter? Would you like to work in an industrial setting? Does the idea of a new experience in a unique environment appeal to you? Then join an international team of highly trained firefighters at CERN, the world’s largest particle physics laboratory! CERN, take part!
The Fire and Rescue Service is part of the Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection (HSE) Unit. Firefighters are on call 24/7 and in addition to maintaining an adequate operational capacity, they dedicate time to training and maintenance. Training includes providing courses in first aid, self-rescue breathing apparatus and use of fire extinguishers. Maintenance work is focused primarily on fire extinguishers and hose reels. Most of this work is carried out during the week so the Fire service shift pattern includes periods of work alongside the day staff of the Organization (8 hour working days) in addition to the usual 24/7 shift work.
CERN's Fire and Rescue Service also collaborates with the Organization's Host States' Fire Departments: SDIS 01 (France) and SIS of Geneva (Switzerland), with whom punctual joint exercises are held.
As a firefighter, you will join an international team, receive on-the-job training relating to CERN-specific risks. You will:
- Perform firefighting, ambulance and rescue operations;
- Man the Safety Control Room dispatch centre;
- Carry out technical investigations;
- Provide assistance in cases where the presence of a firefighter is required (e.g. work in confined spaces, transport missions involving special risks, events);
- Follow training and take part in exercises in compliance with the Fire. Brigade’s training plan and its annual training programme;
- Participate in prevention initiatives (e.g. information, training, expertise, collaboration);
- Maintain emergency response equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, fire hydrants);
- Participate in activities within the Fire Brigade’s projects;
- Perform administrative and collective tasks fundamental to the running of the Service;
- Take part in group and individual physical training sessions.
A professional firefighting qualification from a public body or a private body acting under the delegation of a public service, or relevant experience, or a related field.
A driving licence valid for fire engines and large goods vehicles (category C).
The following qualifications would be an advantage: qualified instructor status in an expert domain.
- Demonstrated experience as a professional firefighter in a service or corporation involving regular activity.
- Emergency first response including rescue operations and emergency care.
- Hazardous materials response operations.
- Teaching and training: delivering training courses.
- Use of office software packages: Microsoft Office, etc.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change; being able to deal with ambiguous or unpredictable situations; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information; acknowledging the contribution of colleagues; recognizing their limitations and offering support to overcome their difficulties.
- Building relationships: relating well to all people regardless of category/level within the organization; caring about the well-being of others.
- Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Proficiency in English and/or French: the ability to understand and speak the other language in everyday situations would be an advantage.
- Willingess to acquire the other language rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.11.2019
Expected start date: 01.09.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Residence in the immediate vicinity of the Organization's installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
In addition this position requires:
- The holder to have a place of residence within a 60-km radius of the Organization's facilities.
- The wearing of the uniform is compulsory, as is the use of protective clothing and equipment, including self-contained breathing apparatus.
All firefighters must comply with the internal rules and regulations of the Fire Brigade in addition to the CERN Staff Rules and Regulations.
Obtaining secondment conditions from his/her existing employer for the contractual period is desirable.
Job grade: 2-3
Job reference: HSE-FB-2019-82-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Firefighter
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further
Postes de haut niveau
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Professor in Marine Sustainability
Technical University of Denmark (DTU) Lyngby-Taarbæk
PhD Position in Environmental Chemistry / Stable Isotope Biogeochemistry
University of Basel Basel
Poste de technicien.ne en informatique
University of Basel Basel
Research scientist in Hydrogeochemistry
Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) Akershus