Doctoral student in Cell-based Biomedical Micro and Nanosystems
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för elektroteknik och datavetenskap
Third-cycle subject: Electrical engineering
The Micro and Nanosystems Lab at the KTH School of Electrical Engineering invites applications for one or more Ph.D. student positions. We are seeking applicants who have a desire to conduct cutting-edge research within the area of implantable sensors based on biomaterials, human cells and MEMS technology.. Within specific projects, your task is to develop next-generation implantable devices with dramatically improved, or entirely novel functionalities.
As a Ph.D. student in this project you will be part of an interdisciplinary research team that consists of members with different professional and cultural backgrounds. All projects involve both theoretical and experimental tasks as well as cooperation with other scientific disciplines. Experimental work will be conducted in the KTH materials and micr-and nanofabrication facilites and human cell biology lab together with medical doctors and clinical partners at the Karolinska Institute and ASIC designers at Linköping University.
The PhD project aims at developing an implantable wireless millimeter-sized sensor device for dynamic health monitoring of cells in diabetic and pre-diabetic patients. The work includes to develop the biomateirals, cell and tissue interface and evaluate it relevant in vitro and in vivo models. In this project several research challenges in biomaterial functionality and patterning, cell, tissue and sensorintegration will be addressed. Your research will be application-focused solving real clinical needs. You will work in a highly innovative environment in close contact with clinical partners.
The PhD program in Electrical Engineering provides world class quality education, including a large list of graduate courses ensuring an in-depth development of relevant competences and skills.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement .
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
- KTH offers an attractive working environment, generous remuneration, and other employment benefits. As a PhD student at KTH you have many opportunities to participate at conferences, projects and other relevant events which will extend your professional network and benefit your future career.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
MSc degree in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or a corresponding degree from a major university. Specialization in Micro/Nanoengineering is meritorious but not a requirement.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
The applicant needs to have an excellent academic track record, well-developed analytical skills, and problem-solving skills. Good knowledge of English in speech and writing is necessary to publish and present research results in international conferences and journals.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may there after be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: J-2019-2169
Last application date: 2019-10-30
Autres annonces de l'employeur
Postes de haut niveau
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Professor in Marine Sustainability
Technical University of Denmark (DTU) Lyngby-Taarbæk
PhD Position in Environmental Chemistry / Stable Isotope Biogeochemistry
University of Basel Basel
Poste de technicien.ne en informatique
University of Basel Basel
Research scientist in Hydrogeochemistry
Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) Akershus