Doctoral student in simulations of complex fluids flow over surfaces
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för teknikvetenskap
Third-cycle subject: Engineering Mechanics
Yield-stress fluids are all around us in nature and industry (from biological fluids to avalanches, from ketchup to cement), and they flow very differently and often more irregularly than simple fluids such as water. Difficulties in handling complex fluids flow leads to a significant waste of energy and natural resources for existing industries, and barriers for new emerging industries. The MUCUS project funded by European Research Council (ERC) aims to improve understanding and prediction of complex fluids flow over surfaces and walls, especially their interaction with surfaces. This will benefit industries dealing with complex fluids, from food industry to 3D printing, as well as improved predictions of natural disasters in times of changing climate, e.g. mud slides.
As a PhD student within the MUCUS project, you will join a research team with significant experience in research of yield-stress fluids. You will be able to utilize and develop pioneering simulation methods of the group to generate new physical insight, and together with parallel state-of-the-art experiments this will lead to a great impact. Investigating the mechanisms by which the system microstructure determines the macroscopic flow properties and vice versa will not only give valuable insights into the nature of the flow but will also lead to new ways to model and control these flows.
The project involves collaboration with supervisors, other members of the research group and our international network. Therefore, it is good that you are able to interact and communicate with others, as well as think and work independently when needed. The project opens up future opportunities both within academia and industry.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be placed at the KTH Royal Institute of Technology and supervised by: Associate Professor Outi Tammisola.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.
- A compulsory individual study plan to support your development in your area of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement .
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- Good computational and/or experimental skills
- Good knowledge of fluid mechanics or applied mathematics
- Very good ability to communicate in English (oral and written)
- Previous experience in large-scale simulations of fluid mechanics is an advantage
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree.
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may there after be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: S-2019-1728
Last application date: 2019-12-15
Autres annonces de l'employeur
Postes de haut niveau
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
University of Basel Basel
PhD Student position in Biomarker Research for Multiple Sclerosis
University of Basel Basel
PhD position in novel scaffolds for regenerative medicine
Universiteit Twente Holland
Two-year Postdoc opening: Advanced UHF MR image reconstruction
Maastricht University Holland