Doctoral student-Stochastic Modeling/Optimization of Edge Computing Systems
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för elektroteknik och datavetenskap
Third-cycle subject: Electrical engineering
Recently, in a competitive selection process, KTH was awarded a new Swedish competence center on Trustworthy Edge Computing Systems and Applications (TECoSA), planned to start early 2020.
Edge computing is a new computing layer, providing substantial computing and storage resources near users, end systems and applications, and is expected to address the limitations of centralized cloud computing systems (delay, availability, bandwidth, privacy) and embedded systems (computational capabilities, coordination). It will be a core enabler of novel applications run over 5G mobile networks like smart manufacturing.
The competence center is focusing on research paving the way for novel edge computing systems and applications, emphasizing challenges related to predictability, safety and security . In this specific announcement, we call for PhD applicants that are mainly interested in working on predictability aspects of edge computing systems. This could comprise methods to model, predict and optimize wired, and/or wireless communication paths, together with computational elements. Theoretical methods such as queuing theory (with a specific emphasis on Age-of-information analysis), optimization of these models through conventional (like combinatorial optimization of game theory) and data-drive methods as well as experimental validation is of interest to this direction. The positions involve collaborations with other research groups from different disciplines, as well as collaborations with industrial partners.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be placed at KTH either in the the division of Information Science and Engineering, or in the division of Network and Systems Engineering.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.
- A compulsory individual study plan to support your development in your area of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement .
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
- A work environment that targets cutting edge research on a global level, and involves many nationalities as well as many different work styles and methodologies.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
Research experience in modeling, analysis and optimization of stochastic systems, in particular of communication or compute systems is a benefit. Alternatively, systems research experience on wireless communications and networks, as well as edge computing systems is beneficial.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may there after be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: J-2019-2571
Last application date: 2019-11-15
Autres annonces de l'employeur
Postes de haut niveau
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
University of Basel Basel
Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in Stadt.Geschichte.Basel
University of Basel Basel
University of Basel Basel
Scientific programmer for Parallelization and optimization of code for a wireless control toolbox
TU Delft Holland