Assistant Professor in bioethics with a focus on new medical technologies
You will be developing a coherent research line with a focus on ethical aspects of new medical technologies. You will publish in international refereed journals, present at conferences, apply for external funding and engage in international and interdisciplinary collaboration and in outreach activities. You will participate in the TechMed research centre of the University of Twente (https://www.utwente.nl/en/techmed/). The TechMed Centre is a leading Innovation Hub impacting healthcare through excellent research, innovation and educational programmes. It is equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure, ranging from research labs, preclinical testbeds and simulated hospital environments. TechMed is particularly active in the area of imaging and diagnostics, biorobotics, medical physiology, innovative bioengineering technologies (such as 3D bioprinting techniques and bioartifical pancreas devices), and the assessment of the effectiveness of personalized health technologies. Next to participating in TechMed, you are also invited to participate in the four-university 4TU.Center for Ethics and Technology.
You teach courses within your specialization area in the master programme in Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society (PSTS). You also teach courses in bioethics, medical ethics and philosophy of medicine for students in the programmes in technical medicine, biomedical engineering, and/or health sciences, and possibly also introductory courses for bachelor and master programs in science & engineering and social science. You are involved in the supervision of master’s theses in the PSTS programme and will at some point supervise PhD students.
The initial division of tasks is 40% research – 50% teaching – 10% management and administration. After two years, the research allocation is likely to decrease but may be increased again through grant acquisition and/or superior performance in research.
We would like to explore the option of you participating in Ethics of Socially Disruptive Technologies (https://www.esdt.nl/), a new, prestigious ten-year long international research programme of seven academic institutions in the Netherlands that will run from January 2020 to December 2029 and has a combined budget of € 27 million.
- A PhD in philosophy, preferably with a specialization in bioethics, philosophy of medicine, applied ethics, or ethics of technology, and a current research specialization in bioethics or ethics of technology
- A track record of research on medical technologies or a demonstrable interest in focusing on medical technologies in future research
- Experience teaching bioethics, medical ethics, and/or applied / professional ethics courses
- An excellent list of publications in peer-refereed journals
- Relevant international experience
- Experience in teaching at the university level, preferably including students in science & engineering, social science, or other nonphilosophical fields
- Demonstrable didactic skills in teaching, good teaching evaluations, and a passion for teaching
- An ability and willingness to teach in areas of philosophy outside your philosophical specialization
- Willingness and ability to engage in multidisciplinary collaborations with researchers and teachers from nonphilosophical fields
- An excellent command of the English language. All master programs and most bachelor programs are taught in English, and English is the official language of the university
We expect that you will to move to the Netherlands, to the region where the university is located or to a region from which a daily commute is feasible.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
For more information, please contact Prof. dr. Philip Brey (email@example.com, tel. +31-53-4894426).
Your application should include a CV (which should include the title of your dissertation), a letter of application (including a brief summary of your teaching evaluations), a writing sample, and contact information for 2 or more references and should be sent no later than June 21st, 2020. Applications should be uploaded via www.utwente.nl/vacatures/en (click twice to find vacancy). Since only three documents can be uploaded per application, please combine documents if needed. Interviews will take place in late June and early July.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
We offer an appointment as assistant professor (full-time) for two years with a prospect for a permanent position upon good performance. This is equivalent to what is called "tenure track" at other universities. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- Starting salary between € 3,637 to € 5,656 gross per month based on your experience;
- An additional holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3% (adding up to an annual gross salary of € 50,758 - € 78,935)
- A solid pension scheme;
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
- International applicants are likely to qualify for a low 30% tax regime for the first five years of their appointment.
Starting date is flexible; we are looking for the best candidates. We prefer a candidate who can start between September 1st, 2020 and February 1st, 2021.
About the department and university
The department (https://www.utwente.nl/en/bms/wijsb/) is internationally leading in the philosophy and ethics of technology. It currently includes twelve tenured and tenure-track staff members, four postdocs, twenty PhD students, and five temporary and part-time faculty members. The department also participates in the interuniversity 4TU.Center for Ethics and Technology (www.ethicsandtechnology.eu). Both the department and the Center have a strong international orientation and include members from many different nationalities.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences The Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences (BMS) strives to play a pivotal role in understanding, co-engineering and evaluating innovation in society. Innovation is driven by advances in technology. Through 'social engineering' these technological advances are embedded in society befitting human needs and behaviour, within proper public and private management and business structures. For this the faculty of BMS upholds high quality disciplinary knowledge in psychology, business administration, public administration, communication science, philosophy, educational science and health sciences. All with a focus on the challenges in society. Research is strongly connected to our institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
Autres annonces de l'employeur
Postes de haut niveau
Professor in Automated Software Engineering
Umeå University Umeå
Professor in Software Security
Umeå University Umeå
Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-Rector: Learning and Teaching
University of Stellenbosch Sydafrika
Doctoral student in Physics with focus on developing kinetic models for metal combustion
Lunds Universitet Lund
PDEng position on Fast Machine Learning-based Image Analysis and Control
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) Holland